My Favorite Stuff
I carefully select only those tools that I have used extensively, and that have proven to save me time so I can focus on what matters most in my life. If you are seriously interested in applying technology to your life for the purpose of creating more space in your life, consider adopting some of the tools below.
Please Note: I am a Mac user so a number of the tools I will be sharing are for the Mac only. I will make known those applications for your convenience.
Many of these apps and products are affiliate links, which means I will receive a commission for things you purchase through these particular links. The cost is the same any place else, so don't worry about feeling as if you are paying more here. All that being said, I endorse these first and foremost because they have become indispensable for my life.
Featured Stuff I Use Everyday
Apps And Web Services I Rely On Regularly
- Fantastical iOS & Fantastical for Mac - I rely on this application regularly on my iPhone to keep me at the right place at the right time.
- Due iOS & Due for Mac - This is NOT another todo system. Rather this ensures that time sensitive tasks are done, and this app will incessantly bug you until you get it done. It is great for those few things each week that NEED to get done, like not forgetting to feed one of your children. ;-)
- Banktivity iOS & Banktivity for Mac - This is my go-to banking software for the Mac and I love it! When I didn't have this software, family budgeting took hours each month. With it, the budget can be done in less than an hour. Want to track how our spending is going over time, and what categories are allocating the greatest amount of resources? Banktivity does it it all! Check it out.
- EveryDollar - This web service has become a budgeting miracle for me and my family. If you are serious about budgeting (which you should be) then you need to check out EveryDollar. While they offer a free version, the paid version offers connectivity to all your accounts. Don't make budgeting harder than it needs to be. Get EveryDollar and splurge the annual service. Combine this with Banktivity and you will be in FULL control of your finances.
- DayOne App iOS & DayOne App for Mac - This is my go-to journal app. I love the ability to tag, divide entries into multiple journals (i.e. work, family, one journal per child for memories, etc.), and search entries by geographical location. If you are into journaling (which you should be for your own well being) this is the app you need to get!
- iThoughtsX iOS & iThoughtsX for Mac - I have a very formal workflow for writing, and it all begins with mind mapping to get the creative juices going. I exclusively rely on iThoughts for this. Such a powerful mind mapping application for a very reasonable price. Want to be a better writer? Start mind mapping now and start with iThoughts.
- OmniOutliner iOS & OmniOutliner for Mac - Once I have my brain dump completed in iThoughts, I immediately export it to OmniOutliner for development in outline form.
Books That Will Inspire You
- The One Thing by Gary Keller - This book is all about focus. If you are feeling pulled in too many directions, this book is the antidote. Living the real is about stripping away that which is unnecessary, leaving room for the most important. This book is a necessary addition to someone's library.
- Essentialism by Greg McKeown - For focus to be a pat of someone's life, essentialism is necessary. Greg McKeown does an exceptional job exposing the obstacles that prevent genuine happiness and success. If we are to live lives of greatness, we must do less. This is counter-intuitive to many people. In the end, less is more. Read Essentialism now, and begin paving a way toward a more intentional life. This book changed the way I approached most everything in my life.
- Mindset by Carol Dweck - One of the most groundbreaking books in modern psychology, Dr. Dweck reveals the two fundamental mindset types we all wrestle with to one extent or another. This book will completely change the way you see yourself, and provide the encouragement and skills to build a more robust "growth mindset" propelling you toward achieving your greatest potential (and ridding yourself of the anxiety and worry along the way). A must read in general, and a necessary read for anyone who has children or wants to have family someday.
- Smarter Faster Better: The Secrets of Being Productive in Life and Business - An indispensable book for anyone feeling as if they are simply too busy to make the impact they want to in life. Duhigg does a fantastic job of unearthing the best principles gleaned from the most success people and companies in the world. Want to achieve your greatest potential in life, and made an enduring positive impact in the world? It is possible but it does not come automatically. These principles will take you to this destination, but it is easier read than done, so get started now!
- The Now Habit: A Strategic Plan for Overcoming Procrastination, and Enjoying Guilt Free Play by Neil Fiore - This book taught the principle of the "unschedule" which is all about scheduling the most important things your life first before all the unimportant things take control of your calendar. This principle alone has been a life-saver in having my day work for me rather than me working for my day. Great book and great read!