My Favorite Stuff
I carefully select only those tools that I have used extensively, and that have proven to save me time so I can focus on what matters most in my life. If you are seriously interested in applying technology to your life for the purpose of creating more space in your life, consider adopting some of the tools below.
If you feel overwhelmed with the thought, don't be. I have many resources to help guide you step-by-step. If you don't see any resources available now, please email me as I don't want to leave stranded with something that can easily give you hours of your life back a week.
Please Note: I am a Mac user so a number of the tools I will be sharing are for the Mac only. I will make known those applications for your convenience.
Featured Stuff I Use Everyday
Sanebox - Bringing Sanity to Email
If you're like me, keeping up with email can feel like a 9-5 job. If you have ever struggled with keeping up with responding to the most important emails first, remembering to reply to an email that you were not ready to respond to right away do to needing additional information, or following up with every important email you sent that received no response, then Sanebox is for you.
Sanebox's power algorithm will find out which emails are important to you and which emails can wait for later, sending the less urgent emails to a separate folder to be viewed at your convenience. Now your inbox will only contain those emails that truly need your attention in timely fashion. Sanebox also offers the ability to "snooze" emails for later. Just send those emails you are not ready to respond to to a predefined reminder folder, and sanebox will hide that email to the time you suggested, bringing the email back into your inbox as if it is a new message. Finally, Sanebox can remind you when emails you have sent have not been responded to, gently suggesting that you may want to followup.
These are just a few of the many powerful features I have come to rely on with Sanebox to keep my email communication sane and my life more living in the real. There is no risk so give Sanebox a try by clicking my affiliate link here. Your free trial can begin today with absolutely no credit card required.
1Password - For People Who Value Security and Privacy
Identity theft is the fastest growing crime in the United States. When someone becomes a victim of identity theft, an average of 500 hours is needed to recover all that has been lost. Reduce the risk significantly by using a password generating application like 1Password.
1Password is a secure vault that holds all your online login information, keeping it secure by one very secure password that you create. This solves two fundamental problems:
- Using the same password for multiple accounts. By using the same password for multiple accounts, you allow hackers to have access to most of your private data spread over multiple account by acquiring just one password. With 1Password, each account has a unique password, significantly reducing the amount of information criminals can obtain.
- Using an easily memorable password that is also easily hackable. Using 1Password eliminates this problem and makes each account incredibly hard to break since each account will have a unique and very long password that not even you could ever remember.
If that were not enough, 1Password monitors all your online accounts. As soon as it gets word that a server/data center has been compromised, you will be notified to change your password immediately so as to prevent your information from getting into the hand so criminals.
Click my affiliate link here to download the desktop application, and click my affiliate link here to purchase the necessary iOS application (I don't have an android affiliate link yet but the application is available for android as well).
Omnifocus - The Ultimate Productivity Solution for the Apple Ecosystem
Working for a perennially understaffed non-profit, managing the chaos of raising Irish Twins with my beautiful wife, running and growing two solopreneur businesses all the while trying to maintain balance by ensuring the most important things in my life are given my greatest energy (i.e. my wife and family) requires me to have a system that can quickly turn chaos into strategic focus. This is where Omnifocus comes in.
Omnifocus diverges from the traditional outdated and urgency based priority based system, and is built around a much more dynamic GTD (Getting Things Done by David Allen) model. This model values context based task management that is organized around projects along with regularly scheduled reviews of all your actions so as to ensure the most important stuff in your life is being engaged.
I could not live without, and you will wonder how you managed without it once you try it. To download a free trial of the mac application, download my affiliate link here. To purchase the indispensable iOS application, click my affiliate link here.
Evernote - My External Memory for Everything
If Omnifocus is my central system for all things actionable, Evernote is my central system for all things informational. With nearly 9,000 notes and counting, Evernote holds everything I could ever need for a future actionable item. Whether it is a receipt I need to make a return/exchange, a movie/book/restaurant/music/wine recommendation, a gift idea for a family or friend, or retrieving some creative stroke of genius I had months ago that I now want to act upon, it is all accessible within a couple keystrokes whether I'm in front of my computer, or on the go with my smartphone. You can download Evernote now here.
Other Things I Rely On Regularly To Keep My Life Real
- Fantastical iOS & Fantastical for Mac (Affiliate Links) - I rely on this application regularly on my iPhone to keep me at the right place at the right time.
- Due iOS & Due for Mac (Affiliate Links) - This is NOT another todo system. Rather this ensures that time sensitive task are done and this app will incessantly bug you until you get it done. It is great for those few things each week that NEED to get done, like not forgetting to feed one of your children. ;-)
- Banktivity iOS & Banktivity for Mac (Affiliate Links) - This is my go to banking software for the Mac and I love it!
- EveryDollar - This web service has become a budgeting miracle for me and my family. If you are serious about budgeting (which you should be) then you need to check out EveryDollar. While they offer a free version, the paid version offers connectivity to all your accounts. Don't make budgeting harder than it needs to be. Get EveryDollar and splurge the annual service.
- DayOne App iOS & DayOne App for Mac (Affiliate Links) - This is my go to journal app. I love the ability to tag, divide entries into multiple journals, and search entries by geographical location (i.e. work, family, one journal per child for memories, etc.). If you are into journaling (which you should be for your own well being) this is the app you need to get!
- iThoughtsX iOS & iThoughtsX for Mac (Affiliate Links) - I have a very formal workflow for writing, and it all begins with mind mapping to get the creative juices going. I exclusively rely on iThoughts for this. Such a powerful mind mapping application for a very reasonable price. Want to be a better writer? Start mind mapping now and start with iThoughts.
- OmniOutliner iOS & OmniOutliner for Mac (Affiliate Links) - Once I have my brain dump completed in iThoughts, I immediately export it to OmniOutliner for development in outline form.